The Power of Positivity
Have you ever been around someone who drains you mentally and emotionally? You know those people who no matter what they always have something negative going on in their life. Whether its a friend, family member, co-worker or acquaintance. It seems that no matter how much you offer words of encouragement or helpful advice or outlooks they are just always negative and down. These people lack positivity.
Don’t get me wrong I too have bad days. As a human being its impossible to stay happy and positive 100% of the time. There are too many stressors in life that at some point you are going to have feelings of anxiety, stress or depression. But at the same time how you handle those stressors shows how resilient you are as a person. Some people no matter what lack resiliency they just don’t have it in them to bounce back from stressors. But others just are so negative and down they don’t have the tools to see that changing that negativity in positivity can also change their life.
Positivity can be defined as the state or character of being positive: a positivity that accepts the world as it is. This definition is from Dictionary.com here.
I work with patients in the Hospital who don’t always have the best life circumstances. Because of their upbringing or these life circumstances, a good number of my patients are very negative and hopeless about the future.
Hopeless means you don’t see things getting any better than they are now. When you have no hope for the future that tends to affect your mood giving you a negative outlook on people, places, and situations. My job as a Social Worker is to empower my patients and give them tools that help them see positivity in themselves and in the world. Not only are the tools helpful for my patients but also for anyone who may lack a positive outlook in their lives.
Seeing positivity in yourself is sometimes hard when you have all those stressors. You can only think of the negatives or have a pessimistic attitude because you just don’t see things getting better. The other side of that is people are sometimes afraid of what their life will look like when they don’t have all those stressors. That might sound crazy but people tend to be comfortable with their situations despite the adversity or stress and any little change good or bad can throw their whole life into a spiral.
I wholeheartedly believe that if you have a negative mindset and exude negative vibes you will only accept and think negatively. But if you speak positivity over your life you will start to accept and believe you deserve positive things to happen in and through your life.
Here are a few ways the power of positivity can change your outlook:
- You will feel less stress– If you believe in and speak positivity over your life daily by coming up with a simple affirmation you will feel less stressed out. Start talking and thinking of yourself in a better light it helps improve your mood.
- You will start believing in yourself- One of the simplest ways to improve your positive outlook is to start believing in yourself. If you don’t believe in your dreams or goals who will? You need to become your number 1 fan and believing in yourself helps
- Minor things won’t bother you- If you have a positive outlook minor inconveniences and things people say or do won’t get to you because you will be too busy thinking about other things like accomplishing your next goal
- More time to accomplish goals- When you are positive you are happier. This gives you more time to focus on ways to accomplish your goals and more time to do things you enjoy
- Better relationships- When you have a positive outlook it helps your relationships with other people because you have less time looking at the negatives and more time being encouraging and finding the good in the people in your life.
The power of positivity can change so many aspects of your life. The ones I have mentioned are just ways I have learned through my experiences. If you are going through some things and all you can do is be negative try to find some positive aspect of your situation. I guarantee finding some part or piece of your life that is going well will give you hope that things will not always be bad.
If you have any questions about this post or in general please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.