Self-Care and Learning When to Say No
No matter what your day job is it is super important to practice self-care. In addition to practicing self-care, it’s also important to know when and how to say NO to commitments and anything that puts too much on you mentally and physically. I struggle with this at times and get so “busy” with my day-to-day life I forget about the most important person… Me!
In this age of social media, you can get caught up in being relevant and forget that to stay on top of your content or your work you have got to take breaks and time to rest and recharge. When you don’t take the time to rest or just find time for yourself it’s easy to get burned out.
One of the reasons I decided to write this post is my health has not been the best and I have had to do some serious self-evaluation and learn how important it is to take care of myself and learn when to say no to commitments.
Because of my personal struggles with self-care and to do better this year I decided to put together a list of different ways you can practice self-care.
- Never speak badly about yourself- this one is tough. Especially as a woman (of color) might I add. The media tells you that you need to look a certain way and act a certain way and if you don’t you get fat shamed, race shamed and everything in between. You are a work in progress. Be kind to yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to say NO!- you are physically and mentally incapable of attending every function, going to every event, birthday, dinner or taking all phone calls. Sometimes to practice good ” self-care” you need to take a step back and say NO for your own health and well-being and just focus on you.
- Take a Nap- Naps are healing. Literally when you are asleep your body is healing from all ailments and getting enough rest helps to improve your mind and gives you the ability to feel more refreshed to think clearer.
- Retail therapy- Look this is non-negotiable. Shopping is my therapy ok. Buying yourself something new with your hard-earned money makes you feel empowered no matter if its new stationary or a new car. You work hard enough enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- Chocolate- is delicious and has the ability to make you smile. Grab a candy bar or four no judgment.
- Listen to music- Good music gives you all the feels. A great playlist has the ability to lift your mood, make you dance and just make you happy.
- Watch your favorite movie or TV show– I binge watch Netflix some weekends and have no shame about it. Watching a good tv show or movie can put you in a good mood and allow you to escape your own problems and worries.
- Go on a stay-cation– If you have the means why not. Treat yourself to a little dinner, grab a room at that cute hotel downtown or in your city and just relax no questions asked.
- Read– Just like watching your favorite TV show or a movie has the ability to let you escape into a new place so does reading a good book.
- Take a bubble bath- Baths are amazing. Pour a little lavender oil or Dr. Teals and just relax for 15 to 20 minutes. You will emerge from the bath feeling much more relaxed and you will have an overall calmer mood.
Hope this list helps you to feel better and just re-evaluate ways you can take care of yourself girl. No harm in taking time for yourself just don’t wait until the last-minute to do so.
Any questions about this post or general questions please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.